Monday, April 20, 2015

“A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke.” ~ Scott Stoll


Fifteen years in the making, now I am in a position to do this, rather than to dream about if and when.

The singular physical goal has always been to the cycle around the world.  The reason is unclear, even to me. Perhaps I don’t need one, or perhaps deep down my heart holds hope to discover what the world holds at a pace that permits sensing and understanding the differences between one valley and the next, one nation and another, one human kind.

I expect that this will be an emotional experience, and if I have learned anything from my adult years of travelling to over 60 countries, memories mean more when they are shared.  I think that the reason why I am finally creating this written record is because I have found someone who shares a desire to explore, to push oneself and to break from the shackles of convention, and I am proud and excited to tell everyone about it.

Now that our lifestyles enable us to try and our cause for trying is clear, the first of four ‘final’ stages to completing the circumnavigation will begin in earnest.  Together, we will discover more than we realised we experienced at the time, a source of reminiscence and happy daydreams for many years to come.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

No comments:

Post a Comment