Saturday, June 20, 2015

5 days of riding 5 litres of wine

Into the swing of things now, as we try to have our first early night, the rain is lashing down outside. A feeling of relief for the fact that we haven't been soaked yet and because the humidity today means that rain is needed.  Weird; I didn't think I'd be that bothered by the weather on this trip, but we are certainly bronzed already.           
I realised today that ever since we've started I've had a little moment each day when I've thought how lucky I am to be doing this 50 day ride. Lucky primarily to be sharing this with the lovely Niamh, who is super tough,  loving the challenge and enjoying this as a holiday too. Secondly that we have a profession that allows us to do this. Thirdly, that I am physically capable as only a few months ago I really could not get out of bed due to three disk herniations. Doing a lot nothing for a while was one of the most difficult things for me. I am so happy that I am not suffering each day.
Yesterday was a great day.  We loved Cremona (cue 80's song... my..my...my Cremona). It was a beautiful town on the banks of the Po. We had a great host and we were sent off with full bellies.  The ride today was pretty straight and a smooth one, with our pesky head wind once again.
Tomorrow is the final cycling day before a good rest.  An opera in Arena Verona tomorrow night should quench any thirst for the classics we may or may not have. That should make it 330km without a rest. Good start we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment