Monday, June 20, 2016

Fortune

As I pedal, I've been thinking a lot about how fortunate I am. Right down to the exquisite home made wine I am drinking right now in the beautiful mountain top village of Shighnaghi, Georgia. But I needed more than fortune to make it up that squiqqly line.

I've contemplated how fortunate I am to have a full belly after a good day riding. How fortunate I am to be fit enough to outpace four separate packs of hungry dogs who gave chase today. How fortunate I am to have the time and the money to do something like ride for 3000km across three countries over a summer. How fortunate I am to have Niamh in my life. To have her support and motivation, to love her and to have her love. For her to have a similar mindset to mine for this form of adventure. How fortunate I am to be 37 and to be doing the things I really ever only dreamed of whilst I was stuck in a world of conformity during my 20's.

Some say that fortune favours the brave, but what really is brave these days? Is fortune actually about wealth? Only 30% of humanity is in a position to worry about savings. Only half of this 30% has a bank account, yet 'we' might live our lives by a dictating monthly statement.

Does brave mean being willing and able to uproute and cut loose by taking a chance on working in strange lands? Maybe. If so, I have to say it's a pretty good gig. Life is comfortable. I'm saving well in Tashkent, we have a nice house and the school really is a good one. I'm not sure that makes me brave though. 

Having a second chance of adult life and seizing the opportunity- I think that was quite brave. There were other avenues which could have been easier to take. But it's paid off; I've never been more content. I feel more fortunate for the benefit of perspective and I am reveling in the opportunities that this lifestyle offers.

Fortune has no synergy with planning, yet I am a very organised person.  Does that limit fortune or prove that being assertive brings happiness? 

A big test of this will be our 'Round The World Ride', coming soon, but I don't want to reveal too much about it yet. Suffice to say; we are going to need more than just fortune to realise the plan. I think determination and belief create one's own fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment